I'm pretty excited about the compilation tape that was released for Noisemas 2022. It's a great listen, with a variety of sounds from different artists. I was impressed.
Features track from NNJA RIOT - Black Madonna
Get yours here from IKLECTIK
This is a 5 track album recorded mostly around Atina in Italy using field recordings and samples using the Octatrack. This was part of an artist residency and performance.
The recordings were of: church bells from the church in Atina, church singing at the shrine of Black Madonna, Elks (deer) in the mountain, Thunder, street sounds in Atina, dogs barking, waterfalls.
Mefitis goddess of the volcano and sulphur is known to be affiliated with the popularised icon of the Black Madonna.
The final track was recorded at my home studio using field recordings of footsteps, Elks and waterfalls near the Black Madonna shrine and other recordings of Atina, including thunder and ambience from the mountains.
I received an email today from Band of Holy Joy announcing their new video. This comes as a real treat to the psyche, as a soft blow of hope to the weary head after what has been a very challenging year.
Johnny Brown vocalist from "Bad Punk" radio show on Resonance FM was first to introduce me to the band when we met at Gallery46 where we were both performing. The band seemed reminiscent of the 80s and I was immediately a fan. Since then I've performed live several times on his radio show which broadcasts every Friday at 10pm.
What makes the song good? The song has a nice long intro. The temptation to launch into the chorus too soon is wholeheartedly resisted. As the song unfolds intensity rises and breaks loose, the message to "do the right thing" rings fourth and a cyclops eye takes us on a journey of historical social triumphs, reminding us "why we do it" and the things "we believe in". This happens amongst the lush sound of the full band of vocals, strings, drums, bass, guitars, piano and synths made up by the seven members of the band
The songs structure is that of a journey of a character living in the city who is always pushing for social change. The song reaches its peak with catchy lyrics towards the end as it unleashes its full power, remaining in the mind as an anthem of hope. All of this happens as the central character in the film holds up different masks guiding the viewer through the narrative of the song.
The song is from the soon to be released album DREAMS TAKE FLIGHT, on Tiny Global Productions.
Film by Fliss Kitson. More details in the video description.
Band of Holy Joy Bandcamp
I do like the cyclops featured throughout the video and while we are on the subject of the Cyclops, this is an animated artwork (NFT) with sound that I made where the eye winks at you:
Eye Dream of Lamborghini
There is the correct way to play a violin and then there is the other way to play a violin. You are either in camp 1: play the violin correctly or camp 2: play the violin with baked beans. If you are in camp 1, you need not read further.
Right now that's sorted and only the relevant readers are still with us. An unsuspecting violin sits on the play table of Giblet Gusset. Now we've all been here, sometimes you just find yourself with a spare can of baked beans and you wonder what to do with it. Giblet Gusset has found a solution, the tender pouring of baked beans onto the violin is wonderfully done, and then just when you felt there is no turning back we discover there is an undo, and the beans return to the can. Sonic assault with dance moves. Is this going to be a choreographed room of dancers in bikinis you wonder? Is this the beginnings of a cheesy 15 sec TikTok choreographed video. No and N0, that is not where we are going. There is no need to stop screaming. The sound of baked beans, a bow and a violin is, well, quite captivating. The distant memory of a voice telling you not to play with your food amongst the inner screams of the baked bean, and slippery red sauce in full indulgence. The full English breakfast dissected and disembowelled. Sonic assault with dance moves. Fucking fuck the fucking fuckers. Will the violin be washed down with a hose and hung out to dry? All the weeping violin teachers gonna weep. The End :)
Review by: @lisa_mckendrick
I'll be documenting some of the research into found sounds for a new album. I'm collecting a variety of sounds from the natural world and the city to use as samples within musical pieces. These two pictures are on the coast in Kent where there is an abundance of varied landscape and coastal structures containing history from WW2. The human made structures and nature clashing against one another is of interest to me. Huge blocks of concrete meet the sea creating deep blue pools when the tide is in. The human made structures contain metal parts which have corroded over time leaving an amazing rust colour. I found a heavy rusted piece of metal on the shore and used it to make sounds with the pebbles, the sound of metal hitting loose stone.
I'm recording samples of 1-10 seconds which I'll then transfer over to my sampler.
Lisa McKendrick (Nnja Riot) talking about Classical Enemy in Noise Waters on Hello Goodbye Show Resonance FM
Lisa McKendrick and Jasmine Pender talk about the gig on the Golden Hinde. With two tracks one from each artist. At around 00:35 mins in
Notes From Chaos: The 2 Year Anniversary Show
- blackhumour - Spot (excerpt) (Taken from the fifth part of a 6-part "broadcast" series named "Spot")
- Konstantin Elfimov - Segregated Peripherals (excerpt) (Taken from "Segregated Peripherals" unreleased album)
- Isn'tses - Mythic Structura 01 (Unreleased Track)
- Crank Sturgeon - Dilettante Saturday Crowdsourcing Heir (V/A - Cut Up America 2CS/MP3 / Factotum Tapes / 2016)
- HgM - Hexavalent Chromium (Unreleased Track)
- Espectra Negra - Hypocrisy And Terrorism (Alchemy & Death CS / Lust Vessel / 2016)
- Hari Hardman - Abominator (Unreleased Track)
- Circle Of Shit - ABBA Revisited (Unreleased Track)
- Flesh Coffin - Untitled (Unreleased Track)
- TSIDMZ (Thulesehnsucht In Der Maschinenzeit) - I Shall Sing Until My Land Is Free (V/A - Necktar 2017 Volume 9 MP3 / Le Colibri Necrophile/Earsheltering/H.A.K. Lo-Fi Record/Eg0cide Productions/Murmure Intemporel / 2017)
- Richard Ramirez - Tied Together (Unreleased Track)
- Daniel Dlugosielski - Shrieking Growth (Unreleased Track)
- PBK - Stirring The Hornet's Nest (Alternate Mix) (Original version appears on V/A - Noise Against Racism MP3 / HNM/Blackened Death Records / 2017)
- Kadaver - Mouthwash (Track From Kadaver's Forthcoming album "Ain't Love Grand?" by L. White Records)
- Arvo Zylo - Wet Death (Nado En Nada) (Unreleased Track)
- Chris Reierson - Toumaï (Unreleased Track)
- Dave Phillips - Nova Gorica EQ 170531 (Unreleased Track)
- Unclean - Torn Birth (Unreleased Track)
- Suffering Profusion - State Of Union And Wishes (Unreleased Track)
- God Pussy - Semeando Odio Pt.4 (Unreleased Track)
- Detrimental Effect - Severed (Unreleased Track)
- Jeff Brown - Indecisive Fronts (Afterword MP3 / Self-Released / 2017)
Listen Lisse is featured in the playlist for
Ectofolk 'The kind of indie/folky music that the old Ecto mailing list was devoted to.'
Find it here:
Coming at you at number 143 on this playlist. "Stand out in a Crowd" by Listen Lisse
I hear you say as you randomly stumble on the conversation that is going on here between Lydia and Henry.